Being on the outside of the BCS looking in has many disadvantages. The difficulties range from a lack of monetary compensation to disproportionate access to nationally televised games. Another annoyance imbedded in the system is the double standard placed upon Non-AQ teams when it comes to having a down year or even a bad game. In years past, when a Non-AQ team were to make an appearance in the Top 25 one year, that would not usually transition to the next. Obviously, past performance does not guarantee future results, but voters seemed to turn a blind eye to the should-be Top 25 squads from the Non-AQ Conferences. Thankfully, as time has passed, the voters are catching the vision: There are legitimate programs in the Mid-Major ranks that are consistently Top 25 teams. As another article mentioned, hopefully this trend continues.
2002 Preseason Consensus 0
Final Coaches Poll 3 #12 Boise State #19 Marshall #22 TCU
2003 Preseason Consensus 0
Final Coaches Poll 3 #15 Boise State # 21 Utah #25 TCU
2004 Preseason Consensus 1 #20 Utah
Final Coaches Poll 3 #5 Utah #13 Boise State #22 Fresno State
2005 Preseason Consensus 1 #20 Boise
Final Coaches Poll 1 #9 TCU
2006 Preseason Consensus 1 #24 TCU
Final Coaches Poll 4 #6 Boise State #15 BYU #21 TCU #24 Hawaii
2007 Preseason Consensus 2 #20 TCU #22 Hawaii
Final Coaches Poll 2 #14 BYU #17 Hawaii
2008 Preseason Consensus 1 #15 BYU
Final Coaches Poll 4 #4 Utah #7 TCU #13 Boise #21 BYU
2009 Preseason Consensus 4 #12 Boise #18 TCU #20 Utah #23 BYU*
- Boise State’s preseason #12 is the highest ranking for a Non-AQ team this decade.
- On average 1 Non-AQ team is selected Preseason 25.
- On average 3 Non-AQ teams finish the season in the Top 25.
- Boise State and TCU both have 5 Top 25 finishes in the past 7 years, only 2 Preseason Top 25 showings.
- BYU and Utah have 3 Top 25 finishes in the past 7 years, only 2 Preseason Top 25 selections.
- No surprise that Boise State, BYU, Utah, and TCU are finally getting the respect they deserve. Voters are seeing that these squads are not flashes in the pan but legitimate programs.
- The burden of proof is now on the Mountain West…and the 10th member of the MWC Boise State to continue the momentum it has taken a decade to build.
* SOURCE: http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/ and ESPN.COM