- Austin Murphy of Sports Illustrated has this fantastic piece on Kellen Moore. Moore is my type of player--drawing plays on the chalkboard in second grade, taking practice snaps with high schoolers in sixth grade. I've said it before: Moore has (somehow) quietly put together one of the best quarterback careers in college football history.
- Spencer Hall at Every Day Should Be Saturday continues his brilliance with his detailed plans for the Sun Beast Conference.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star details potential Big 12 plans with and without Missouri.
- Big East commissioner John Marinatto held a media conference call today to address conference expansion. Marinatto said that all schools were on board with creating a 12-team football conference, and confirmed that exit fees will be raised from $5 million to $10 million which goes immediately into effect upon entry of any new schools. He also said he has not been contacted by any other school or conference about current schools leaving the Big East since TCU's announced departure to the Big 12.
- WAC commissioner Karl Benson announced on the conference's pre-season basketball teleconferences that the league will change its postseason basketball tournament to a regular quarterfinal format, getting rid of the double-bye format used last year. The format will be used for this year only, then be re-evaluated next season after new teams come and outgoing teams go.
- Washington State and BYU are finalizing a home-and-home football series that has Wazzu in Provo next year, and the two Cougars playing in Pullman in 2013.
October 18, 2011
Lunchtime Links (and notes): October 18th
Stories from around college sports today: